Saturday 7 December 2013

Introduction: a different kind of makeup blog?

Hello everyone! My name is Plurabelle and I've been quickly getting into the world of makeup - youtube, makeup blogs, etc. And I thought it's about time I made a blog about it! The reason I wanted to make a blog really was that I was dissatisfied with most of the blogs out there, and I wanted to make one for kindred spirits - I thought some of you might enjoy a different kind of makeup blog.

I am not a makeup expert - in fact I wear very little of it, and quite rarely. So I probably won't be posting full-face tutorials. I am actually afraid of the beauty blogging atmosphere that whips up a marketing frenzy around each and every product that is released, so I won't be posting too many "hauls" (think about that word for a second). I don't have the money to spend on "high-end" makeup - and some of the prices these companies charge actually disgust me, so you won't be seeing much of that here.

So what do I want to do?

I want to celebrate our shared love for makeup in a more critical way. I want to share my passion for makeup, and appreciate the art of makeup, but I also want to talk about the problems of the makeup industry that keep me at night sometimes. I want to talk about more than makeup; I want to talk about the history of makeup, what makeup means in different cultures (like mine: I'm from India), cultural appropriation of makeup (I'm against it!) and the philosophy of makeup. More than just enjoying the act of putting it on, makeup inspires me. It inspires me to write about more than makeup - about life and about being a woman.

I hope you enjoy watching my journey!

2 comments:

  1. Saw your comment on Temptalia about how to best respond to critical comments from others and liked that you raised the issue of legitimate criticisms like that of cultural appropriation. Anyway, a link from that post brought me here. I'm definitely a kindred spirit in that my love of makeup is deeply tied to my interest in what makeup means -- culturally, politically, economically, socio-historically, etc. -- and by what processes those meanings are constructed. Looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I always end up disappointed when I go on youtube because of the cultural appropriation on there. There's definitely a legitimate critique to be made. Makeup is supposed to be a safe haven, a community where we respect each other. I'm glad someone else agrees!

      Delete